Friday, February 27, 2009

iPods In Educations

When I began my research, oddly enough the first article I pulled up was about Duke and there use of the iPod. This article explains the reasons that they chose to start using the iPods in the classroom and all the different things that they used it for. The main thing that it was being used for was recording lectures and conversations within the lectures. This article explains that they found this very helpful in planning future lectures for that class. It also helps the teacher to know who is participating, at what point there is not any participation, and just to monitor the class overall. This is still an ongoing project at Duke University but things seemed to be going well. If you care to read the article that I read on this just click here

We are familiar with this experience at Duke, but I found that there are many different schools using iPods in the classroom. What surprised me was that even elementary schools are trying this new thing out. An article I found on this had a very good way of explaining it. One point they made that I really liked was that teachers cannot continue to teach the way they have done it in the past. Students these days need more then in the past generations. I feel this is true because they are exposed to more. Students are exposed to technology such as iPods so why continue their education and not incorporate this technology into it. Not only does it keep the students from getting bored with their school work but they believe that it could possibly help those students who are not the average learners. Those students who need to hear and see things, the iPod will have them covered. After reading these different sites it has changed my opinion about using them in classrooms. I think it is a great idea, but only if the teachers know how to lead the students to use them in an effective way. If you are wanting to learn more or read a great article you can start by going to this site.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know how many different things the students could use their iPods for. It was interesting to read about all the things they used them for, and it wasn't just for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete